The Kensington Close Hotel was built in 1937-9 as a “residential club” with restaurant, recreational rooms, garages and a large number of flats arranged in a series of high blocks. In about 1960 it was converted to a hotel.
In March 2009 planning approval was granted by RBKC to increase the number of bedrooms by 172 from 550 to 722. The new accommodation was to be contained in four new bedroom wings from first floor upwards, plus an extension at eighth floor level. In addition, In September 2010 planning approval was granted for external alterations to the front elevation at ground floor level, including a new accessible entrance/fire brigade access, the erection of two glazed conservatories either side of the principal entrance and a new entrance canopy.